One size does not always fit all, so Medela developed PersonalFit™ Breastshields in a range of sizes to meet every mom's needs.
Lactation professionals agree that proper breastshield fit is essential for not only comfort, but also for effective milk expression.
Choosing Your PersonalFit™ Breastshield Size
Medela PersonalFit breastshields are available in five sizes:
- 21 mm (size s)
- 24 mm (size included with all Medela breastpump kits) (size m)
- 27 mm (size l)
- 30 mm (size xl)
- 36 mm (size xxl)
Many women benefit from a size other than the standard 24 mm breastshield. It is almost impossible to tell which size breastshield is the best fit without watching the nipple movement during pumping.
Should you try a new size?
- Does your nipple rub sides of tunnel, to the point of causing discomfort?
- Do you see excessive areola being pulled into tunnel?
- Do you see any redness?
- Is your nipple or areola turning white?
- Do you feel unexpressed milk after pumping?
Did you know?
- Pressing breastshields too hard could block milk ducts.
- Your breastshield size will depend on your breast tissue and skin elasticity.
- When you apply vacuum pressure, your nipple size could change.
- Your breastshield size could change over the duration of your pumping experience.
- You may even need a different size per breast.
Learn more with our Choosing Your PersonalFit Breastshield Size handout
- For hygienic reasons, these cannot be returned to the store once opened.